Out in NYC
Your Gay Companion to the City.
Perfect...what a way to start my trip.
Staying at Stephanie's amazing brownstone (above) has given me a little taste of what it would be like to live in a city. The simplicity of only having as much as you can eat for a day or two in your cupboards, making plans around city transportation, all the noise and never feeling alone.
The city never sleeps!
Whether you're out at 1:00 in the afternoon or 1:00 in the middle of the night there is the same amount of people out. You never feel alone, and if you do take another street instead. I love it! But could I live in a city with kids?
Instead of taking the CASH CAB Shelly and I took the metro to Soho, which is the famous shopping district of Manhattan.
Shopping in SOHO.
Even though the slide show above makes it look like I went on a huge shopping spree, the truth is it was just a fun trying-on spree. I actually ended up heading over to Macy's and bought 2 pairs of jeans for $12 each (70% off). I am such a bargin hunter, even in NYC.
Later that day we met up with MacKay. You see their faces? I must have told a funny joke.
They headed off for dinner and a show, so Stephanie and I put our name in the Wicked lottery and In The Heights lottery. It is not very common to have your name drawn for the lottery. If your name is called you get 2 front row tickets for the show that night for only $25/each. We actually won for In The Heights! So after picking up our tickets, we went to a wonderful Thai restaurant opening. They treated us with complimentary duck. It was delicious, much better then the authentic duck I had in China. Duck doesn't taste that good, so I still wonder if it was chicken?
Here we are at the show. It was fabulous. It received a 2008 Tony Award and a 2008 Monica Approves Award.
This is the set up close and personal.
After the show we walked around Times Square and stopped at the M&M Store and Hersey's Chocolate Store.
We headed home, stayed up late and laughed about the days events.
Saturday morning was pouring. So what did we do? WENT RUNNING!
Stephanie lives a block away from Central Park, it has great trails and paths to run and explore. No, we didn't see any dead bodies, but I certainly kept my eyes out. The path we ran on was covered with bright green and yellow leaves. It was the most astonishing sight.

Later that day we headed out to Staten Island by ferry to get a better view of the Statue of Liberty.
On the subway ride the protesters from the Temple squeezed in right next to us. Luckily, the didn't cause any problems.

Next, we ran by Serendipity and Dilan's Candy Bar.
And the best place we visited, the Manhattan Temple.
Sunday we relaxed, used all the food in her cupboard to make breakfast :) and went to church in a building on the East Side of the city. After that I took my first taxi ride to catch the bus and home I went.
Thank you Stephanie for making my weekend the best weekend ever!
I would like to visit again soon...
Monica,
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun trip!
Love,
Auntie JoAnn
Your trip looked like so much fun! I've always wanted to go to NYC. How far away is it for you guys now? Will's brother is attending John Hopkins in Baltimore so we get to hear news about that part of the country often as well. I've been reading Alexander's blog too and I'm so excited he is doing so well. He is SUCH a cutie.
ReplyDeleteOkay and this is random, but check out our blog http://willandjenni.blogspot.com/. I posted a picture of Will when he was a baby and I kept thinking "He looks like someone" and realized that picture of him looks a lot like your little Alexander. Don't you think?