12.01.2008

Christmas Comes Early for Alexander!


I looked at Alexander this morning, with smiling eyes, knowing the world has much more in store for him.



He's smart. Active. He loves to giggle and laugh. He enjoys learning. Even though he is only 10.5 month old this little wonder has already faced one of the most difficult challenges of his entire life.



Alexander was born with a profound hearing loss.



When he didn't pass the 24 hour newborn hearing screening we thought it was because of fluid in his ears or faulty equipment. Not to worry; a follow-up in 2 weeks would probably show that everything was just fine with our baby.



I remember the follow-up screening. I remember the look on the nurses face when Alexander failed to respond to the tones being played in his ear. A month later Jon and I were informed that Alexander was almost deaf. I cried with the audiologist, with my mom, who was there with me. No one could say anything to take away my grief, my heart ache for my little baby boy.



He was fitted with hearing aids almost immediately, and they seemed to open up the world to him, but we knew it wouldn't be enough. That is when we began to research cochlear implants. We never dreamed of such an amazing device and yet they have been implanting deaf children since 2007.



Tomorrow is Alexander's big surgery day. We couldn't be more excited! On his birthday, January 16th, is the day that is scheduled to activate the implant. That should be enough time for his body to recover from surgery and prepare to enter into a whole new world of sound.



For more updates and information go to his blog: http://iamthankfulformyears.blogspot.com/.

6 comments:

  1. Hooray for Alexander!!! I am sooo excited for you! What awesome technology we have these days to help a beautiful little boy hear all the wonderful sounds of this world. I wish you all the best, and lot's of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!!!!! What wonderful parents he has. Really Monica you brighten my day with how much love and understanding and forward looking ability you have. If I did not know any better I would think you were Pollyanna's daughter, oh wait you are. Your family and esp. Alexander are in our prayers. We love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be thinking of you ALL tomorrow....you are in our hearts and prayers.... We LOVE and MISS you guys!!!!!!Love Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Tuesday! I know you'll have a good day, and that all will go well-Alexander is in our prayers!
    Dave and Stephanie Allgood

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jon and Monica,

    We hope the very best for Alexander. I know it is harder or as hard on Mom and Dad as it will be on Alexander. Please know that we will thinking about and praying for you tomorrow and forever. What a great opportunity for your happy little one.

    Take care>

    Aunt Carolyn and the rest of the Lloyds

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post brought tears to my eyes. I remember coming back to church after missing a few weeks (pregnancy-related) and hearing your husband's talk/testimonay about Alexander. I felt emotional about it and I was not even his mother. I couldn't imagine how you felt. He is such a sweet little boy and it is so wonderful that you guys are doing this for him and he lives in an area where this is possible. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

talk to me

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails