he was best known for his
bowl cut
also known as
beach cut,
pot haircut,
chili bowl,
or a mushroom cut
it is a haircut where the hair is cut short on the sides
and back and allowed to grow long on the top,
looking as though someone put a
bowl on the head
and cut off all the visible hair.
that is just what mistakenly happens
every time i cut dallin's hair.
so i avoided cutting it at all costs.
so his hair grew
and grew
and grew
until we couldn't see his eyes anymore.
being the new year,
i figured it was time to give dallin's hair
another chance to be cut,
or better yet dallin the chance
to see the white board at school.
i cut it.
it's bad.
i don't know if it is my mad hair cutting skills
or his straight blond hair
that gets me every time.
i relax my fingers,
wet his hair and think "blend"
to myself over and over as i chop away
his golden locks.
it is a bowl cut
again.
can anyone help me
with some blending techniques
before this child realizes my skills are
just not cutting it?
teach me how to blend blond hair oh great ones.
or is it time to pay for supercuts?
at least he still thinks he is handsome.
I always did the 'Engine That Could' thing - 'I think I can, I think I can.....but it didn't work for me either. Why do you think we let your hair grow out long and we were always so glad that Alex had such a cute face. You have a choice - bowl cut or crew cut.
ReplyDeleteMom
Have you considered investing in a flowbee? Check it out flowbee.com!
ReplyDeleteyes, we seriouly have. my brother purchased one and it is only known for causing natural hair disasters. you might as well just buzz the kids hair off with a razor.
ReplyDeleteHi Monica! So fun to find your blog! What a small world! How long have you been in D.C.? I have lived in Charlottesville for 6 years and this is our first year in Richmond. Your kids are adorable and just for the record I don't think the bowl cut looks bad on him because his hair is so thin.
ReplyDeleteI am proud that you even tried. I tried cutting just about an inch off of the back of Maddie's hair (it was only growing in one spot) and I was freaking out! So the fact that you even tried is saying something. He's still cute anyway... maybe you will bring the bowl cut back in.
ReplyDeleteSo this works for me, don't get wet when you cut. don't use a razor either. k try this, pick up his hair between your pointer and index straight up and cut above your fingers do this all over his head it takes a little more time than a razor, but it looks a lot nicer :)
ReplyDeletenow to fix the 'bowl' take his bangs pull them up and cut into them just a bit until it is blended and looks less 'bowl' like hope this helps :)
also go to Target and pick up a pair of hair cutting scissors (next to the hair rollers) that are for 'thinning' i think, they have weird notches in them it help to blend blunt cuts they are amazing! I will send you a picture of them in your e-mail good luck!
melinda,
ReplyDeletei have been cutting dallin's hair since he was a baby and i have never used those cool scissors that you're talking about. i can't to try them out. please send a picture so i can go find them.
Hey Monica,
ReplyDeleteTo answer your question, to get your pics side-by-side on your blog, you need to have a template that is wide enough. I just use one of the Blogger "stretch" templates. You can go into the fonts/colors and make it whatever colors you want (because I think the default colors are awful).
And then when you upload photos, select "none" (when it asks if you want them centered, left, or right). This way when you are editing your blog post, you can click on the photo and select what paragraph format you want (left, right, center, etc.). I usually click to have them centered (after they are uploaded as "none"), and then I click and drag photos next to each other.
Okay that may have sounded confusing, but let me know if you still haven't figured it out.
I vote Supercuts. Well worth the $10. And then you can blame someone else when Dallin gets another bowl cut.
ReplyDeleteMonica,
ReplyDeleteI remember as a boy my light blonde was a problem, too. It never turned any other color over the years, except now it is grey. It is thinning perceptively. I have to camouflage the bare spots. I relate to Dallin particularly because I think I looked like him at comparable ages.
My barber still doesn’t know how to cut my blonde hair.
Love,
Grandfather Clegg
what a great picture of dallin with his hair at the longest. don't really have any advice for the cutting however. maybe if anyone you know cuts hair you can make some bread for them and ask them to teach you?
ReplyDelete