4.16.2010

Trailer Park

There was a small, over populated trailer park a couple miles from my house growing up. It was set between the mini mart and the cemetery. Earlier in life I would have said that was the perfect living situation; candy and rotating hotdogs at my fingertips and a place to play hide-and-seek out back. Simple living at its best.

Now flashing forward to this week.

Conversations, dress, and living conditions remind me of life between the cemetery and the mini-mart. I’d rather not feel like I live in a trailer park or what could also be known as “trailer trash”, but lately it has been inevitable.

It began with the new hairdo and original 1985 Blublocker Sunglasses. Very nice.

mojo

My kids were happy when I returned from the youth activity looking normal again.

Trailer park living felt within reach when Jon asked our oldest if he could choose any restaurant to eat at where would he go?

His reply, “Hooters!”

Naturally I was shocked, but this child in known to push our button,

so curious to know WHY he would choose Hooters I asked him.

He said,”Once when dad and I were driving around town we passed Hooters and Dad told me they serve owl burgers there. I want to try an owl burger”.

DSC_0126

Great.

You want more evidence?

We take in abandoned toys, animals, and people.

This is Chucky. He showed up at our back porch shortly before a thunderstorm. Instantly the kids fell in love with this teeny tiny bunny and named him. The name reminds me of throw-up, which adds to our trailer living. (Chucky Cheese, Up-Chuck, Chuck-o-Rama).

IMG_1811

IMG_1816

Their thoughts were completely occupied with Chucky for over two days before Jon made them let it go. He was doomed to be fox food or the more probable death, suffocating from too much love. Now all the talk is what is going to be the next family pet?

Maybe a rat? Ugh.

As much as we like taking in stray animals, we are also accustomed to complete strangers living with us for 24 hours.

When we got a call from a Professor at Gallaudet University asking if we could help one of her master degree students with a family life assignment, we couldn’t refuse the chance to give back to a group of people who have supported us on our journey with Alexander.

bgTopNavigation_GU

Fortunately for all of us she was a hearing student. My sign language capabilities are that of a three-year-old. She observed our daily routines with Alexander and our other children, ate with us, slept overnight and went to therapy with me. To complete her assignment she asked tons of questions which I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Jon respond to. I rarely hear from his perspective is raising a deaf child in our hearing world.

In retrospect I am glad we jumped at the opportunity to help because in turn it always seems to help us more.

Ironically much like Chucky, she was Sarah. Just Sarah. Never got a last name and she was in our lives and out in 24 hours.

IMG_1898

Now back to our week in a trailer park. Allergies! The famous and beautiful DC blossoms make my eyes itch so terribly the mascara rubbed around my face has been confused with black eyes. The pollen is EVERYWHERE! Today I have resorted to no mascara. Scary.

Lindsay_Lohan_all_67b2

Life in the trailer is full of leaks, a broken bathroom and ironing board.

IMG_1796

Waking up to a completely demolished bathroom and wrinkled shirts pushes me over the edge. This is when I want to abandon the trailer and live behind the mini-mart. At least their toilet works. LOL.

IMG_1498

Fortunately life is always sweet

and always right

when I share my time and popsicles with my handsome boys.

No matter where we live, life will always be happy as long as we’re together.

IMG_2067 IMG_2068

Karen, Kathy, Shauna and mom, I promise this trailer park will transfer into a high class hotel when you show up next week. We’re looking forward to your visit!

2 comments:

  1. okay, i am still dying over the hooters conversation! owl burgers -- classic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owl burger? Really? One day Jon's little fun and games are going to get you guys into some real parenting trouble. After this example I think it may happen sooner that I thought. Can't wait to hear all about it when it does happen.

    As for the next pet, please consider a labradoodle. I want one but my lifestyle doesn't lend well to dogs so maybe you can help me fulfill this dream. However if you go the rat route please come visit and you can have as many as you want and name them chuck, chucky, up chuck, chunk, barf, puke, hurl, what ever you want! Best part is the catch and keep policy, if you can catch one you can keep one free of charge. I'm sure free fits within your pet budget.

    ReplyDelete

talk to me

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails