10.14.2010

Poop Diaries

 

It’s amazing to me how children from the same family can be so vastly different with the same milestones. I expect this of course, but it’s always a surprise.

June 2005

“It all began as an ordinary potty training nightmare day - DC woke up, we tried the potty, no luck, half an hour later we got ourselves another accident – poop this time. Really. No really?  There has got to be something to toilet training that I am missing.”

A guide to toilet training is what I needed. After scouring through a handful of books I came up with a plan on my own adapted from the many experts.

Here was the drill: I would take him potty before and after every sleep (including naps) and every meal no matter if he had to go or not. Its all about muscle memory and practice.  I would convince him taking  underwear on and off was easier then another wet pair of pants, socks, shoes and anything below that.

September 017

Prior to this 2005 photo of DC, I found these two cousins peeing in the backyard.  Another benefit of potty training boys.

Z-man 2008

Z on Toilet

Success!

Two of our boys mastered the porcelain thrown without much fuss after guidelines were in place, but I was dreading doing it again. It is too much effort running from the checkout counter at the grocery store back to the employee bathroom for the sake of my child's small bladder. Ajax’s constant pleading and begging is what finally convinced me.  I fully intended to wait until he was three, thoroughly enjoying the convenience of holding him up to my nose smelling his diaper and saying, “Keep playing, we’ll wait.  It is only wet”.   (For all the concerned mothers out there I would never let it cause diaper rash).

Ajax 2010 looking for his reward chocolate chips.

IMG_0520

So he did it. Ajax is potty trained.  No nightmare incidents yet, so far he has been the easiest one. Of course putting his underwear back on after using the toilet is completely overrated. I am fine with it for now, although the boys friends completely disagree.

1 comment:

talk to me

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails