5.12.2008

having faith


Alexander is four months old this week and he has had more doctors appointments and hospitals visits then both of our other boys combined. What an adventure we have been on with him!


When he was 2 days old he did not pass the infant hearing screening. They reassured me that it was normal to not pass, it happens to a lot of infants. My other two boys passed with flying colors so of course I worried. Two weeks later he had another screening and he didn't pass it also. At this point I was overwhelmed and saddened that he could possibly have a hearing loss. At 6 weeks old he had his first brain response test (BAER). Unfortunately the results were inconclusive because he had a terrible cold. We had to wait 4-6 weeks longer to do another test to find out if there was hearing loss. This long wait almost drove me insane. At 10 weeks old he was able to get his first "good" BAER test. We were told that he had a mild to moderate hearing loss. I was devistated. What does that mean? Will he be able to function in our hearing society, does that mean hearing aids? I wanted all of these problems to go away.


After many days and nights of grieving the loss of our perfect child I thought I had I was finally beginning to come to grips with our new family lifestyle. That is when Alexander recieved his second "successful" BAER test. The results left Alexander with severe to profound hearing loss. That news hit me like a brick wall. At that point I felt like I was losing the fight. Who was taking his hearing? I want it back!



That was three weeks ago, today is a new day. Alexander recieved his hearing aids today. This is where his journey begins...



8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness he is so cute! We are really anxious to have Jordan (and me!) learn more sign language so if you come across any good books or dvds let me know. Thanks for the updates. Oh and nice shot of Dallin's bum crack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe his bum is on that video? Oops, sorry about that I should have made a parental disclosure at the beginning of the video.
    Signing Time has the best DVD's. Check to see if your PBS T.V. station has them first.

    Thanks for you support!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexander is adorable!

    The hearing aids are soooo tiny and in honor of Alexanders new start I watched the video without any sound.

    Do you think I could put Signing Time on my video iPod and watch and learn on my way to and from work?

    Alexander is so blessed and lucky to have such great parents and brothers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monica,
    Alexander is so cute! Not to minimize your concern, but he doesn't look like a kid that would let a hearing lose stand in his way of doing what he wants to do! And with parents so engaged in his future, his is sure to be an outstanding success! We love you and wish you and Alexander the best for the adventures and challenges that await you. Hope to see you soon before, well you know, call me. Love Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy that you have started blogging. Alexander is so cute and he looks so happy in the video. All you kids are so cute :) You have such a fun house and family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah!! I'm so excited!! My mom told me you started a blog, but I just barely looked at it now. I LOVE all the cute pictures and videos. Your boys are SO SO SO cute. If I ever get to have a boy one day... I hope that he is JUST as adorable as your three.
    I also wanted to say that I am so sorry for the stuggles that you have gone through, thinking about little Alex. I can't say I know how it feels, but I can imagine. (This is so minimal) But when Jocelynn's hemangeoma flared up, (right in the middle of her face!) I was INSTANTLY worried. I felt sad, that she would have to have this mark for so long, and that it might leave a permanent scar... But mostly I was mad, because I couldn't do anything to stop the rude comments from dumb people at Costco. lol.
    I was TOTALLY humbled by this TINY little red dot, as ridiculous as that sounds. I had to research and learn about it, so that I wasn't completely clueless when people, pointed or asked me questions about her. Like I said... I know that this is SO stupid compared to what your probably going though, but I KNOW for a FACT that you and John are going to do an amazing job with Alexander. You are probably the LEAST selfish person I've ever met... and SO patient too. I hope that you keep us all updated on his progress. It looks like he's super happy to finally hear his sweet mom's voice. How cute. Well, I wish you all the best Monica! I'm looking forward to more cute pictures!
    Shelley Smith

    ReplyDelete
  7. he is so adorable -- and those are the cutest little hearing aids i've ever seen! it was so good to visit w/ you on sunday and i'm looking forward to more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Monica,

    He is perfect! I am so happy for you- I know it probably wasn't what you expected but life has a funny way of doing that to us. It was great talking with you yesterday. Hope things go well today! My love.

    Kim Allgood

    ReplyDelete

talk to me

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails