7.24.2008

Alexander's Trip to Children's Hospital Ophthalmology



So how does the hospital do a vision/balance test on an infant? This is how...

Alexander and I enter a room with a ton of machines and computers. With out knowing how this test will be performed I follow the doctors directions. They ask if I get motion sickness, "No", (I didn't think so at the time). Okay, now they are ready to begin. They ask me to step into a booth and sit in a chair. Before I know it I have a harness around me and padding between my legs and around my head. Alexander is getting electrodes put on his head and I am given the instructions to hold him tight and keep his head straight. So between holding his head straight and keeping his hands from pulling the cords to chew on them we were all sitting tight. Then without much notice the doctors ask if I was ready. Sure ready for what, right? The drapes on the booth close and the lights go out. It is dark, and I begin to get hot. "Okay, here you go!" the doctors say from behind the curtain. The chair begins to spin again and again. I think they are going to stop, but they don't. "Alexander, this is more of a thrill than Disneyland." I think to myself. Then the nausea sets in.

They eventually stop, give me a cold cloth and a paper towel to spit in. They continue the test spinning one way and then the other. After 10 minutes of torture (for me) Alexander passes with great results of balance and vision. I still do not quite understand how they were able to check his vision with the lights completely out, but I do know that I still feel super queazy. :)

As for his surgery he had a few weeks ago. It did clear fluid, but it did not change his hearing diagnosis.

What we are looking forward to:
  • Doing more testing to find the cause for his hearing loss
  • His CAT Scan to see if he has all of the components of the ear to be a candadite for a cochlea implant this winter.
  • Meeting his new doctor at John Hopkins, Dr. Neparco (sp?). I was told by some other doctors from Childrens Ophthalmology that he is known around the world for his work in Audiology. He is actually here in Seattle today giving lectures to other professionals. Sweet, we are floored to be lined up with such an expert.

Until then we will be busy with the monthly hearing tests and speech therapy appointments. We are so lucky to have a wonderful audiologist, Marissa and speech therapist, Kim. Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Monica.... where you at Children's in Seattle??? and you did stop by to say hi?? We have been here for weeks ;-)

    He is sure cute- he looks thrilled about his testing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My stomach got upset just reading about the test. Alexander looks like he was up for the adventure though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This picture is so cute. He looks so happy. Must have had a good time as opposed to mommy...

    ReplyDelete

talk to me

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails