9.23.2008

The Silence

A phone conversation to Jon:


Me: "I don't think Alexander can hear!"

Jon: (silence) "I thought we already determined that?"

Me: "Yes, sure, but he is not responding to ANYTHING. With his hearing aids on I yell loudly behind him with a low voice and then with a high voice and nothing.


Jon: "What should we do? I can come home and work with him."


******


I don't know what to do. It has been 3 days now. I cry. My arms ache with sadness and stress when I hold him and talk to him. He is rarely making noises. What noises are other 8 month old babies making right now? Fear that he will not be eligible for the cochlear implant tugs at my hear. Am I ready to accept silence and begin signing more frequently?


I called John Hopkins to ask if they will be able to tell me more about how well he is hearing, if anything with his hearing aids. The appointment is October 3rd. Can I stay motivated until then?

13 comments:

  1. Monica, you are such a good mother! I love reading about your adventures. Alexander has such a vibrant personality and so much joy in him. I hope he will get to experience hearing and all that comes with it, but he will never lack love.
    Love,
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes it is so hard to be a mom...there is so much love involved in the job. i hope oct 3 comes quickly for you and you get the answers you need. i will be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes you can stay MOTIVATED! he is one of the CUTEST 8-month-olds ever and you are one of the most upbeat ENTHUSIASTIC mothers ever!

    i still remember your wonderful rs lesson about MOTHERING . . . being the mother hen with wings to gather her chicks in where they will always be safe and secure and loved. and you do that so well!

    it will be easier when jon's home, too! somehow just having someone to share the load, eases it incredibly! keeping smiling for that sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so strong Monica. What a tough thing to go through. But you will make it I promise! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monica, I came across your blog through Jared and Kim's. I just wanted you to know that you are in my prayers, as is Alexander (he's absolutely adorable!!!) I pray that Oct. 3rd comes quickly and that you will feel peace with the answers you receive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine what you must be feeling. My heart is breaking for you. But I know you can do it. You're one of the strongest people I know! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monica, You are to far away for one of my fried chicken dinners, so let me share the caption to a picture of Christ, that we have and it reads " I never said it would be easy only that it would be worth it."

    You have the tools and the will to get thru any bump in the road.

    I know 3 little boys, who look up at their mother, and say to themselves, "how lucky am I " and a mother who looks at her 3 little boys and says the same thing.

    Hang in there Monica. you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Love, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monica, I can't even imagine how frustrating this time must be for you. We are thinking of and praying for you. Oct 3rd is just around the corner and whatever answers you receive that day, you are certainly strong enough to handle--especially with help from above. Hang in there and know that we are all asking for strength and comfort to be poured upon you.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monica, we are praying for you and your cute family! You have always been the girl who can do anything and this is no exception. You are such a good momand I admire you so much. Wishing you all our love, Rachelle & boys

    ReplyDelete
  10. Monica,
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family always.You absolutely can stay motivated because you CAN do this. His world of possible silence is not the end. These are opportunities we do not understand yet, ones we don't want right now. Hang in there....we love you guys.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Monica: I agree with what everyone else has said. You are such an amazing person/friend/wife/mother. And one of the strongest and most positive people I know. Alexander is so blessed to have you & Jon for parents - parents who will make sure he gets everything he needs, and that he has the best possible opportunities. Please continue to update us after October 2nd - which is just around the corner, now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. boy o boy you have me all teared up. Hang in there. Our prayers go out to you and your fam. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can stay motivated and you will.

    You are the best mom that Alexander could ever have. You are incredible. And so is Alexander. If you find out that the course you think you are on will change, then you will have the inspiration and capacity to make the change.

    I love you and if I could take from you the responsibility and the heartache you feel, I would……but I can’t, so I will continue to pray and know that Jesus and Heavenly Father are the ones who will ultimately sustain you in this journey. The Holy Ghost will guide you and let you know what is best. You will feel Their love for you and Alexander.

    You are the most incredible person. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

    I love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

talk to me

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails