What a way to bring in the new year!
Perfect.
Is the operative word for our little vacation to the city.
3 days and 2 nights playing in New York City with the kids.
WARNING: lots of photos for the grandparents!!

We experienced NYC by:
Subway
Bus
Taxi
Boat
Foot
Boat
Foot



Here we are on the boat tour around the Statue of Liberty, under the Brooklyn, Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges and back to the NY harbor.
Brooklyn Bridge


Manhattan, NY Temple
We could have been here all day!

"Yes, Zachary, trains just like Grandpa's house."
Zachary replied, "Did he fix his e yet?"
"We'll have to visit to find out."
Zachary replied, "Did he fix his e yet?"
"We'll have to visit to find out."
Jon's new aspiration when we retire is to build Lego statues for stores. Can that be done on the beaches of Hawaii?
"Do we have everyone?"
A typical moment of scurry catching the subway.
Subway art.
The story behind this is there was only one seat available on the bench and Zachary was so tired he offered to take it even though it was between 2 strangers. Within minutes he was slumped over on the strangers shoulder and practically falling in her lap. As I was pulling out the camera to catch the moment she quickly got up out of kindness and said he needed to sit by his mom. This was taken seconds after sitting down...so sweet.
New Yorkers say "air space even costs money", what about snow? Is that free?
A light tour around the city
was a fabulous way to see everything all at once, even the famous Macy's store windows.

"Dallin, how cold are you?"
"Frrrrreeeeezing!"
It was one of the coldest New Year's Eve on record. As a family we have NEVER been to Starbucks to buy hot chocolate...we gave in more than once.
Don't feed the wild animals in Central Park!

It was one of the coldest New Year's Eve on record. As a family we have NEVER been to Starbucks to buy hot chocolate...we gave in more than once.
After a busy day of visiting the toy store, candy store, Times Square and Central Park, we arrived at Stephanie's apartment and she asked,
"Zachary, what was your most memorable moment of your day?"
"I didn't poke Dallin once on the subway!"

No tantrums, no meltdowns (that I can recall), no one was kidnapped or shot. We shared some of our most cherished memories as a family, what can be greater then that?



You're so brave! Looks like a fun time. We thought about going last weekend but chickened out because it was too cold for us.
ReplyDeleteDid you ever visit ground zero?
ReplyDeletehunter
hunter, we did pass by ground zero. it is a very peaceful place. everyone around comes to pay their respects. it is still a giant hole in the ground. hopefully something will be built soon.
ReplyDeletemonica
Wow what an outing! looks like a ton of fun :)
ReplyDeleteHow do you know Kristina (Brown) Miller?! I went to the same highschool and we were in the same ward in San Diego... Small world! AZ is great. We are in northern AZ so we have lots of snow. Fun fun! Looks like you guys had a great Christmas and New Years!
ReplyDeletehey lady-thanks for all the fun times during our visit! your official harry and david thank you basket is on it's way :) glad you had so much fun in NY-looks like it was COLD.ps i guess jon knows some friends of ours that are coming to IU for business school next year-Amy and Andy-small world
ReplyDeleteMonica
ReplyDeletegood to hear from you. I am glad to have your blog address now. It's fun to see you and Jon and your cute kids. I love the NY pictures. Yes, it really is a small world. I couldn't believe it when I saw your picture on Jenners blog. We were supposed to be at IU this year with Jenner. Once I met her I knew I could be good friends with her and then everything happened with andy's eyes and I was so sad to realize I wouldn't be there with Jenner. Anyway, I will be her neighbor next year. Looks like you guys are having fun out in the D.C. area.It's a great place to live. I"m sure you miss your family but hope you are all doing well.
As far as andy's surgery.... He had a couple of complications. One was eye imbalance. His eyes were wandering everywhere. He went to therapy for that and did lots of exercises at home each night and that problem is pretty much gone now. The biggest problem now are the star bursts. He sees 20/20 in natural light but indoors is harder. We've had to get some brighter lights for our family room. Driving is harder at night and if we watch a movie on t.v. he needs to keep lights on. Anyway, he is getting along OK now. We feel grateful that he can still work and see! Pretty much he has just learned to compensate but it really is unfortunate as I guess you know. What are your complications? How long ago did you have the surgery?
Well, it is good to be in touch. You guys have a darling family. Take care and tell Jon hello.
amy
Isn't this city just amazing?! I actually work in the building FAO Schwartz is in and attend church in the same building as the temple. I love this place! Your photos are great and depict it perfectly. Next time you will have to go to Dylan's Candy Bar...if the kids liked the Hershy's and M&M's stores at Times Square, they will LOVE Dylan's (started by Raplh Lauren's daughter). We'll have to meet up for lunch next time, though it's always tough to find a spare moment in this buzzing city. Glad you guys had a good time!
ReplyDelete-Kate