a blustery snowstorm whipped through Virginia
and of course snow can bring out the worst in us...
bus driver
The Associated Press Friday, March 6, 2009; 3:12 PM
STERLING, Va. -- A school bus driver has been charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor after she allegedly offered students cash to throw snowballs at a 13-year-old boy.
According to police, the 34-year-old woman interjected herself into a verbal tussle between two students. Police said the driver got on the bus' PA system and offered varying amounts of money to students to either throw snowballs at the 13-year-old or stuff snow down his shirt.
Several students did throw snowballs at the boy, who was not seriously injured.
really, did she have to use the pa system?
here is an email we received this week.
first email:
From: Franklin Elder's Quorum
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 2:53 PM
To: Subject: Memorial Service Change
Dead Elders Quorum,
The Memorial Service for Mary Jordon has been changed by one day, to Wednesday, March 3, at 11 am at the Stake Center. Thanks, Jason
second email…which quickly followed the first:
From: Franklin Elder's Quorum
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 3:07
Subject: Sorry everybody, I meant Dear Elders Quorum! :)
lately the kids have been into playing
hide-and-go-seek.
can you spy the hiding child?
alexander won this game.
it's friday. on fridays all of the kids go to alexander's therapy appointment.
their enthusiasm is slowly fading,
it was definantly time to look forward to something new.
so we made the ultimate
chocolate chip cowboy cookies
(see recipe below)
and packed potato chips in our lunch bags. we really never have potato chips in our house because they are my weakness,
especially lays ruffles. ooh so yummy and salty!
zachary could hardly contain himself he was so excited to "eat EVERYTHING up".
he carried his lunch bag around with him for an hour before we left.
afraid we would miss place it in the rush to leave the lunch had to go in the car long before leaving.
Texas Cowboy Cookies
Ingredients
· 3 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 tablespoon. baking powder
· 1 tablespoon baking soda
· 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, at room temperature
· 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
· 1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
· 3 eggs
· 1 tablespoon vanilla
· 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
· 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
· 2 cups sweetened flake coconut
· 2 cups chopped pecans (8 ounces)
Directions
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 15 to 17 minutes for ice cream size scoop (8-10 minutes for normal size scoop).
Yield: About 3 dozen cookies (see note below)
1. Heat oven to 350 F.
2. Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl.
3. In 8-quart bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1 minute. Gradually beat in sugars; beat to combine, 2 minutes.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Beat in vanilla.
5. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Add chocolate chips, oats, coconut and pecans.
6. For each cookie, drop 1/4 cup dough onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart.
(i usually freeze half the batch in balls of dough and store in a ziplock bag in the freezer).
Bake in 350 F oven 17 to 29 minutes, until edges are lightly browned; rotate sheets halfway through. Remove cookies from rack to cool.
Note: For 6 dozen small cookies, use 2 tablespoons dough for each. Bake at 350 F for 9 to 11 minutes.
the recipe is adapted from Laura Bush
don't even get me started with the bachelor....grrrrr....
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun post. Your kids are cute, the cookies look delicious, and the snow looks familiar(we got hit, too)!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Auntie J.
Sounds like that bus driver could be from the school district I taught in in VA--we had a bus driver repeated shut a kid in the bus doors (admittedly he was the bane and vexation of every teacher and bus driver but still) and one hit a student that was walking in front of the bus to get on! I was always amazed if any of my students made it.
ReplyDeletewe are ready to enjoy 70 degree weather here today ourselves! and yes, we watched the bachelor this season. he is a tool, and i've decided that he and molly are perfect for each other and jillian and melissa are lucky they were let off the hook.
ReplyDeleteand that bus driver story was crazy! :)
Our two bus drivers are awesome! I totally trust them with my kid.
ReplyDeleteI can imagine if I drove a bus of bratty middle schoolers around, I might go a little nuts. But I would definitely just turn on ALL of them and not single one out. ;)
k first off, that story about the bus driver..can we say physcotic immaturity? LOL your cookies look good. and YES I was one who faithfully wasted my time watching The Bachelor. Ugh! Poor Melissa. I also heard the entire thing was staged somewhat. I thought he was a nice guy but to pull that made me rethink my opinion of him. I totally understand him realizing he needed to not m arry her, but to do in on national TV? Couldn't he have done it quietly?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I hear we are sharing a room with you guys at Whistler in 2 weeks! Hahahah we all had to draw names out of a hat for bed assignments and the four of us (you and Jon, and Will and I) are sharing a room with bunks! LOL
OKAY!!!!! So like how long was Alexander on top of the fridge!!!
ReplyDeleteand does he get the idea of hide and seek. Love the picture....
I miss that kind of fun in our house. Love and miss You guys..
Love Dana
We saw some of the craziest, most insane drivers whenever there was a snow storm in Virginia. I couldn't believe how clueless people were out there.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the picture of Alexander on the fridge.
The email from the EQ was the best! We totally bust a gut at that.
ReplyDelete