3.12.2009

what's cookin'?

for me, it is usually a dessert!

(whole wheat cinnamon rolls)


on a normal day i talk to my husband late in the afternoon and our conversation usually leads to dinner. "gosh, i am starving" he explains, "because I worked through lunch today. are there any plans for dinner?"


my typical response is, "yes, i have made something delicious!"


then i continue, "today the kids and i made tasty double chocolate chip cookies. i wanted to try that new pie crust, so we also have an apple pie. i was thinking it would be fun to eat whole wheat cinnamon rolls for breakfast tomorrow so i am making the dough for those right now.


as for dinner, i don't have plans, unless you want cookies, pie or cinnamon roll dough."

(yummy apple pie)

i LOVE baking!
i LOVE eating what is baked!

here are the recipes you all requested:

Pumpkin Pecan Swirl Bread

(i usually make this in the bread machine on the dough cycle
for convenience, but the Bosch or kitchen aid also work).


for a 2lb loaf set on the 'dough cycle'
Pumpkin Pecan Swirl Bread

2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg
4 tbls butter or marg.
4 cups bread flour
(i am known to sneak in 1-2 tbls of wheat germ to give it a healthy punch)
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp ginger
½ tsp cloves
1 ¼ tsp dry active yeast

After 5 minutes of mixing add:

1 cup chopped pecans

if you make it in a kitchen aid or bosch mix with a dough hook for 5 minutes, add nuts then mix for another 5 minutes. let rest for10 minutes and mix again for 2 minutes. then let dough rest for an hour.


divide into rolls for dinner and let rise
or for dessert roll out and spread:


1 stick of melted margarine
2 cups brown sugar with 1/4 cup cinnamon mixture over top.

let rise in loaf pan or cup into spiral rolls.

let rise.

350 for 12-15 minutes (rolls) or 20-25 (loaf)



serve with cream cheese spread:


beat together 6 ounces of cream cheese, 1/4 cup softened butter, and 1 tsp vanilla until light and fluffy.
then add 1 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar.

cover and chill until ready to serve.




Whole Wheat Garlic Basil Pizza Dough


you can file this one under 'fast and easy' (tee-hee)


when it is 3:30pm and i begin to panic that nothing is planned for dinner...pizza comes to mind. no, don't order it, make it! if you have a bread maker it is a life saver and makes the process so much smoother.


here is the bread machine recipe for a 2lb loaf of my famous, oh so delicious dough:

1 1/3 cups water
3 tbls olive oil
1 cup whole wheat bread flour (optional, you can substitute it for white flour)
3 cups bread flour
1 tbls fresh chopped basil (dry works too)
½ tsp dry oregano (optional)
1 tbls wheat germ (optional)
1 tbls minced garlic (or 4 cloves pressed)
2 tbls sugar
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tsp active dry yeast

set on ‘pizza’ or ‘dough’ cycle and it is ready in 1 hour.

i also use the pizza dough recipe when making calzones.
there are some like my sister-in-law, stephanie, who belittle my tasty calzones by calling them hot pockets.
hot pocket, hot smocket!

Toppings for pizza:

Once it is rolled out to your preference top with a few squirts of bbq sauce and pizza sauce (I just use prego). spread until even on dough.

Suggested order of toppings:

1 cup shredded chicken (you can use pepperoni, but i don't always have it on hand).
½ shredded mozzarella
pieces of bacon or bacon bits
1/2 bell pepper (green, red or yellow)
fresh basil
mushrooms (optional)
olives (optional)
1 cup shredded monterrey jack cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella
½ cup shredded parmesan

bake 375 for 20-25 minutes

if you don't have a bread machine, better homes and garden cookbook pg 336 has a good pizza recipe. just add the ingredients like garlic, sugar, basil and oregano when you add the dry ingredients.



i usually let the kids make there own
when we are not starving to eat right away.

spray cooking spray on foil
cut a chunk of dough off
let the kids roll it to desired thickness
cover with toppings
bake 375 for 10 minutes



bon appetite!

what do you bake?

i would LOVE to try it.

9 comments:

  1. if you like to bake so much, and EAT what you bake, how do you look so dang good??? comon! i know you exercise, but i cannot eat whatever i want even if i exercise. what's your secret? by the way, i'm going to have to try your whole wheat pizza dough. we like to make whole wheat pizza dough (mine's not awesome though), and put pizza sauce, cooked chicken smothered in bbq sauce and cheese on top. it's yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Monica...just made some shortbread cookies with jam centers the other day. Not bad! The recipe is on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica,
    A girl after my own heart. I love to cook and bake. I prefer baking over cooking, but will do both. I always find in short time frame a few great recipes I will have to send you. First, soup- usually really quick and easy. Second of all- BBQ cups. Lastly, in the summer great dinner is fresh cut tomato and mozerella sandwiches with homemade basil. Look in your mailbox for a few other fun favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing others talk about all the foods they love. I wouldn't have pinned you for a dessert person though! I am definitely going to try some of these recipes. They look delish! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monica,
    You need to post a warning. "Don't read if you are hungry!" The food looks delicious and I think I might try some cinnamon rolls this weekend.
    Thanks!
    Auntie J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all of the recipes....you could always use more that have been tested and declared delicious. And I have to agree with the first comment....if you are eating all of that...how do you look so dang good?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know which impresses me more, your baking abilities or your ability to look like you don't eat what you bake. I think you're one of the few people who gets skinnier with child birth.
    I tried the BBQ sauce mixed with the pizza sauce and it was yummy! thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun to catch up on your blog. You are such a great mom and wife. Wish we lived closer. :)

    And, Wow, I love new recipes! And theses look awesome. Thanks! Can't wait to try the pizza dough. Your apple pie looks so delicious. What are your tricks for pie crust? I've been trying a few new pie crust recipes this year until I find one that I like, and I'm hoping to master pie crust making in the process.

    I agree with Melanie; you'd never know you love to bake and eat what you bake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. so glad you posted your pizza dough recipe, it is delish.
    looks like we will be in NC for the summer, hoping we can get together again!

    ReplyDelete

talk to me

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails