all about decorating ghost sugar cookies with my boys, visiting the fire station in honor of national fire safety month, painting a bedroom, the flu, a husband away for a week on business, lots of visitors (which we LOVED), a LEGO birthday party, and celebrating more holidays than we knew existed.
In a class discussion, my son’s teacher asked the class, “What does October mean to you?” The class brainstormed their thoughts, the most popular naturally being Halloween. Then my son piped up and asked, “ Why do we celebrate Halloween when it is neither a patriotic or historical holiday?” The teacher was stumped. “Good question, tradition perhaps?”
Halloween is an interesting holiday, we have now researched it and understand it a bit better. Halloween is not the only holiday we celebrate in October, the month is filled with them.
It begins with International Frugal Fun Day which always lies on the first Saturday of the month. I love the idea of spending a day having fun “on the cheap”. The next holiday is Columbus Day. Any ideas of ways to celebrate that holiday? Sleeping in sounds good to me! October is the anniversary of the dedication of the statue of liberty. In honor of the day, I booked at trip to NYC! Of course I can’t fail to mention Sweetest Day. Isn’t that really Valentines Day in the fall? After that is United Nations Day. Which I didn’t know was recognized until living so close to D.C.
After the many holidays celebrated this month, the one most anticipated was my oldest son’s birthday! He planned a Lego party complete with a Lego Indiana Jones Crusade which was a scavenger hunt full of mathematical challenges. All the boys LOVED it!
The photo recap.
I was wondering why the buttons on my keyboard were sticky.
Mr D.’s room painted...finally! Window treatment and dirty clothes scattered across the floor would complete it.
A visit from Stephanie and Great Falls National Park.
On a walk by our neighborhood pond with Grandpa.
Birthdays were celebrated by Chucky Cheese and dinner at Red Robin with Grandpa. Later that week a Lego birthday party with friends.
The LEGO cake.
Halloween was celebrated by….
pumpkin waffles, pumpkin carving, costumes, spooky dinners and dressing up like burritos for free Chipotle.
Our new best friends. It is amazing how foil can bring people together at 10:00pm at night.
Surprisingly enough this is not blood, candy or juice. He actually popped another squeeze ball with his sharp jagged teeth left from his fall in July. This ball happened to have fake blood in it. What a perfect prank he pulled on his brothers when they found him crying like this. Little did they know he wasn’t crying from a a painful accident, but out of disappointment that he had broken another ball.
Goodbye October. Hello America Recycles Day on November 15th!
Looks like a fun month. Happy Birthday to Dallin!
ReplyDeletelooks like y'all had a fun and busy month. i love the lego cake and what a fun idea to do a mathematical scavenger hunt -- i'll have to store that idea away for ethan's next birthday!
ReplyDeleteI love October and not just because it is my birthday month! I just found out about Sweetness day (which happened to fall on my birthday weekend and would be on my birthday in a couple of years if it weren't for leap year--darn!) which I love! I always read things I've researched about Columbus on his day but it would probably be fun to go explore somewhere new or make paper boats and have races. I am glad you thoroughly celebrated the month!
ReplyDeleteI always love looking at your pictures. Your fall pictures are beautiful. Love them!!
ReplyDeletegreat fall pics. LOVe that you scored at chipotle. you could recycle that foil in anticipation of the next holiday!
ReplyDelete